Beny Lesmana, S.H.
Beny Lesmana obtained his bachelor of laws in business law (S.H) from the University of Indonesia. He is a member of Indonesian Advocate Association (PERADI) and is admitted to practice in Indonesian courts.
Prior to establishment of Christie Alliance, he worked in a law firm located in Jakarta which is well known of its anti graft method. He has more than 10 years of litigation experiences in civil and commercial area. He is well known for his consistency in providing services with ethical manner and therefore will always maintain the anti graft approach.
His areas of specialization are Civil and Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy and Corporate Insolvency Law, Consumer Protection Law, Intellectual Property Law, Employment Law and Family Law.
He has represented clients ranging from domestic Indonesian companies through multinational corporations in various civil cases with some notable ones as follows:
- Represented a German car manufacturing company in a lawsuit filed by a consumer. The defence was successful since the car damage was caused by the consumer’s own fault.
- Represented a South Korean airline in a lawsuit filed by a passenger. The defence was successful since action in question was due to compliance to safety regulation.
- Represented a South Korean shipowning company and an Indonesian ship agent in a lawsuit filed by an NGO with a USD 100 million claim in relation to the sinking of a car carrier with 4.190 cars inside. The defence was successful since it was evidenced that the vessel did not damage the environment.
- Represented one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in Indonesia in a lawsuit filed by consumer. The defence was successful since it was evidenced that the company is not being unlawful in producing medication.
- Represented one of the largest private banks in Indonesia in a lawsuit by consumer due the alleged unlawful auction by the bank. The defence was successful since it was evidenced the bank had lawfully performed the auction.
- Represented a private Indonesian largest palm oil company in a lawsuit filed by its contractor.
- Represented an international oil and gas company in Aceh province in an employment case.
Although he has the expertise in civil and commercial areas, he has defended clients in various criminal cases such as corruption cases, narcotics and negligence resulting deaths, with maximum decision that the defendant(s) is fully acquitted and released.
With this legal expertise and experiences, as Christie Alliance Managing Partner, he prioritizes to defending the rights and interests of clients.
Maralda H. Kairupan, S.H., LL.M, FCIArb
Maralda H. Kairupan obtained his bachelor of laws in international law (S.H) from Trisakti University, Jakarta and master of laws (LL.M) in international economic and trade law from Brunel University, West London. He is a member of Indonesian Advocate Association (PERADI) and is admitted to practice in Indonesian courts.
He also possesses qualification as a certified court annexed and out of court mediator in the jurisdiction of the Republic of Indonesia, member of the Indonesian Mediation Center (PMN), Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), member of Young International Arbitration Group of the London Court of International Arbitration (YIAG LCIA) and member of Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners of the Austrian Arbitration Association (YAAP AAA).
Maralda H. Kairupan is Christie Alliance’s main corporate advisor and out of court dispute resolver. He has been trusted by various companies to provide legal advice ranging from project administration, contract formation, to arbitration. He has also the expertise of negotiating corporate contracts where he has been successful in negotiating among others EPC contracts, vessel charterparty, and LNG sale and purchase contracts, valued of more than USD 2 billion.
As a dispute resolution practitioner, he has amicably settled many clients’ disputes in an out of court nature, also dealing with some arbitration cases at which he acted as an assistant arbitrator in cases under BANI Rules and ICC Rules.
He had advised Indonesia’s largest state owned gas transmission and distribution company for its South Sumatera West Java Transmission pipeline on both project phase and operation phase. He had worked on two (2) Indonesia’s largest LNG Floating Storage and Regasification Terminal projects also on both project phase and operation phase.
His areas of specialization are Alternative Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Oil and Gas Law, Shipping Law, General Corporate Law, Power and Utilities Law, Property and Construction Law, Foreign and Domestic Investment Law and Environmental Law.
Ponco Nugroho, S.H.
Ponco Nugroho, obtained his bachelor of laws (S.H.) from the University of Padjajaran, Bandung. He is a member of Indonesian Advocate Association (PERADI) and is admitted to practice in Indonesian courts.
He has more than 10 years litigation experiences. Prior to joining Christie Alliance, he was a Partner in several lawfirms in Jakarta. He is known for his defence with anti graft method. He chooses to work harder instead of performing unethical conducts in defending his clients.
He has vast experiences in litigation and has the interest for cases related to public law. His expertise has been tested in many criminal cases, state administration cases, antitrust cases, and consumer protection, and also cases closely related to agrarian law.
In criminal cases, he successfully defended clients in the following cases:
- In 2006, he was the defence lawyer in a corruption case where the suspect was an executive (director) of an international hotel in Indonesia, and the suspect was successfully acquitted by the District Court of Central Jakarta.
- In 2010, he was the defence lawyer in a narcotic case where the suspect was an Australian (the famous “Bali Nine” group) who was decided a death penalty, and the suspect was successfully saved in the final appeal with a change to life sentence verdict at the Supreme Court.
- In 2012, he was the defence lawyer in a in a narcotic case where the suspect was a Brazilian, and the suspect was successfully acquitted by the District Court of Tangerang in 2013.
- In 2013, he was the defence lawyer in a ship collision case (allegation of negligence) where the suspect was a Philippines, and the suspect was successfully released by the District Court of Kalianda.
In a state administration cases, he was successful in many cases against state officials.
A huge interest in litigation related to public matters and his vast experiences have made him one of 2012 leading dispute resolution lawyers in Indonesia ranked by IFLR (International Financial Law Review) – (http://www.iflr.com/Article/3121307/Leading-dispute-resolution-lawyers.html).
With such experiences and expertise, he is trusted to become one of main Christie Alliance’s litigators who will focus in defending the rights and interests of the clients.